Monday 11 October 2010

The Nightmare Man - My Review


WOW! I don't know where to begin. (how about the begining)

We start with the usual, "This is where Sarah Jane lives" Blah blah, giving clips and snippets from forthcoming episodes, I think this was introduced in series 3. But I REALLY hate it, it's boring and they're advertising for a show, that people are watching already. But onto the actual episode...

The start was TERRIFYING! I know that it's a kids programme, but my fear of clowns took over me thoughts at this point. The Nightmare man is like a killer clown, but ten times more chilling! That laugh made me shiver.Huge acting praise to Julian Bleach though, who played the role perfectly.

We then get off to a sort of 'heres how it began' type story. The Slitheen section was poor, it had bad humour and it was WAAYY too cliche. I hate the Slitheen and I feel as if the writer sneaked that in there just to keep the coninuity of having Slitheen in every series alive. And, is it just me, or do the slitheen get greener each time I see thenm (unless they aren't slitheen and they are just praxeen, or blottleeen or something along the lines of). They could have got a more subtle, emotional way of Luke telling Sarah-Jane about Oxford.

Then we get the Clyde issue, with Clyde not talking to Luke. This was a great thing about the episode. I could relate to how Clyde felt, as this happened to me when I was his age, I felt angry and upset. And both those emotions came through!

The Nightmares.... I can't sum up the way I felt about those sequences. I thought they were amazing, but I also felt more scared than I have ever been when watching a flim. (over-reacting?) but I haven't seen many clown filns (god forbid) and not many Doctor Who episodes scare me, (perhaps, Blink, Empty Child and Flesh and Stone) Day of the clown scared me, but that was mainly set in the day time! In the first dream, luke hears Sarah-Jane talking about her conversation with him in his new car (which was another great scene) When the frail, white, hand of Julian Bleach reached out for Luke, I was honestly blocking my eyes from the screen

Anyway, Inbetween that there are sweet little day to day snippets of Lukes life before getting ready for university. I liked the whole party thing.Not loved it, as I was wondering whether Clyde had it in from the start, if so, I didn't love it, but if Rani told him to do it, I loved it. As a scene it was good in terms of showing how far the show has come, the love reference paticulary, and I can really see a relationship developing between Clyde and Rani, so I appreciated that line. Lukes nightmare was equally as good. We finally see the Nightmare mans face, which is kind of creepy. And put that with a chilling voice and we've got a villian that would have been easily put in Doctor Who.

I know I have left a nightmare or two out, but I don't really want to talk about them two much, but I did love the nightmare where the nightmare mans intentions were revealed. I loved Sarah-Jane and the gang buring Lukes stuff, cheesy and predictable, but fun.

I am SO happy they got in a Maria reference, even if I prefer Rani. I was wondering if she was going to be informed.

The cliffhanger, a bit iffy for me, They ended it at an abvious point and It would have been better with the Nightmare man walking around turning the world into a nightmare and THEN cue the cliffhanger.

Ovevrall, a great starter to what will hopefully be a great series. By A mile the best first episode out of all the four series, plus Invasion of the Bane (the thing that put me off was the chavy girl - whoever came up with that awfully annoying character should be sacked!)

One point though, the threat seems alot like one of my fan fic stories, ep 3. When that is realeased, (in a lllloooonnnnngggg time!) I want to let you guys know that I thought of the idea and it's got nothing to do with the Nightmare Man!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment