Friday 15 April 2011

The Impossible Astronaut & Day of the Moon - Friends Review (Spoiler-Free)

My friend from university lives in New York and queued all day for a chance to watch 'The Impossible Astronaut' and 'Day of the Moon'.

He Succeeded!

Here is his review:

So. Doctor Who Series 6 episodes 1 and 2. Are they any good?...short answer, yes. They are good. More than good. Possibly the single greatest hour and a half of television I have ever seen in my entire life. I was shaking when I went in. Shaking throughout, and shaking after the screening. I am still shaking now! The atmosphere was epic. Meeting the stars was epic. The episodes were Epic! So, onto the actual episodes!
eppie 1 starts off in a slightly odd way. There's a naked doctor, and painting. But despite this, it garnished many a laugh from the audience. But don't think this is a light episode. It isn't. I'm sure you know it isn't from all the buzz surrounding it. It's bloody scary. Scarier that Doctor Who has ever dared to go. I mean, I was hiding in my hands at a particular scene in a bathroom. The monsters are everything you would expect from Mr Moffat, and more. They look terrifying, enough to make you quiver in fear already. But then (in the bathroom scene - where we meet these monsters) we hear the idea behind them. You have probably heard this a million times before. But the idea behind them truly makes them something for the nightmares. One tease I can give away, is that whenever you look away from the silence, you forget they are even there. I mean, something about the silence makes our trio of heroes mark tally s on the faces. The episode isn't just scares though, there are many laughs scattered around.
Towards the end of ep 1, everyone will have A 'OMG IT'S THE ********* FROM *********' moment, and it really picks up the pace from here to episode 2 (alot more action-y, and much more spoiler-y)
River and the Doc kiss in episode 2. Which may perhaps give something away about who she is. There are secrets on board the TARDIS. Especially Amy. Am loving the dynamic between Rory and Amy and the Doctor.
Onto the acting. Matt is incredible. Much more that David Tennant in my opinion. He grows as an actor, and his doctor is just so old, wise. Just alien. He has upped his game this series. As has Karen and Arthur. A big shout out to Canton, who was portrayed brilliantly.
But, I think the main person to surprise me was Alex Kingston, giving a subtle, sometimes heart-breaking performance as River Song.
They used the Utah setting to wonderful shots. not as much as I would have liked but still. The SFX were better than ever. and so is the writing.
Can't say much about episode 2, but it is just as good as the one before it, and acctually ends on a cliffhanger of it's own!

now, I give you some teases for the episodes:

1) It isn't a man inside the spacesuit
2) There is a death. And boy is it shocking.
3) Look behind you Amy
4) Who is the little girl?
5) The silence have always been with us...

Thats it. No negatives. A stunning piece of telly. EPIC. AMAZING. SPECTACULAR. Moffat has done series 5 proud. And proved me wrong after that rather boring Christmas special.]

Five Stars - smiles all round.

Pretty exciting huh? He isn't telling me anything else though. So we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves in a weeks time...

No comments:

Post a Comment