Saturday 23 April 2011

The Impossible Astronaut - My Review

Wow! That truly was a corker of an episode wasn't it! I knew it was going to be big, but I wasn't expecting that! Lets get things settled. By far the best series opener of doctor who since 2005. I mean, compare this episode, (American Desert, Shocking Secrets, and a really physiological deep alien) to the opener we got three years ago in 2008, (Pretty Lame Jokes, Pretty lame Story, and seriously stupid, little fat babies waddling about) if someone thinks 'Partners in Crime' is better than 'The Impossible Astronaut' then I doubt they have a soul. Now, this was by no means one of the best episodes ever...yet. The trouble with this episode (and probably one of my only quibbles) is that it genuinely felt like half an episode. I think it would have been so much better as one huge episode, the reason being is that it's a series opener. For the past years, all openers have been a one parter. I feel as though perhaps the only reason for this series opener to be a two parter, is because The Moff is trying to magnify the 'Epic' feel of this series. I would have much preferred an hour and a half long epic episode,but, it's just one mans opinions.

So, that aside, we begin my spoiler-y review. So, if you have not yet seen it, please don't read this review!

About a week or two ago, these character cards were leaked on-line, and I was silly enough to take a glance. On 'The Doctor's' card, it gave away the fact that the doctor we see is a future version of the doc. After I read this, I looked away and shut down the window. I did not want to be spoiled. So to me, I had worked the whole death thing out a long time ago. But, it still was great. It really reminded me of 'The Big Bang' when the doctor revisits his past.
I LOVED the idea that the three companions have to keep this a secret from the doctor. It really gives the episode a tension lacking from series 5, and especially series 1-4.
The Silence. What can I say. They are great. Not as great as I was expecting (that's all down to one reason, I will explain later) but without that one point they would be amazing. They look brilliant. They sound brilliant. The fact that you forget them whenever you look away, is brilliant. The way they kill people is Bri...no wait. It's awful. I am so sorry for people who can't see fault in the silence. But what on earth was that lightning way of killing. It seriously looked like a gimmicky pile of nonsense. The toilet scene was epic, and yet was seriously ruined by the almost humourous way of being killed. If they killed with no SFX, how epic would it look if the silence just raised it's arms at the woman, and silently, the woman just drops down dead. Oh Well, another small quibble, but I just had to get it out there.

I Loved the 'Spaceman' storyline, with the girl. who I found more scary than the silence but there you go. I loved Canton.Nixon.

The exchange between Rory and River towards the end of the episode is by far my favourite bit of the episode. I think it is definetly in my top 5 scenes on doctor who ever. It was beautiful done, and acted. It really makes you think how hard meeting the doctor in the wrong order is for her.

I swear I jumped out of my seat when I saw the Lodger TARDIS. Great to see that again. Knew the silence were behind it!

Amy's pregnant! I'm assuming she'll give birth at the end of this series. Which means no more Amy :( but, it has opened my eyes to a number of possibilities. Firstly, Her future baby is the girl in the spacesuit, Who she just shot. Heartbreaking, but I think it would be interesting if this theory turned out to be true. The second is that Amy's child will infact be River Song. I'm gonna leave that there.

I'm sorry this is a shockingly bad review. I am rushing this, and my mind is going a hundred miles a second so I just blurred out points I felt needed to say. Lets hope my next review is better!

Overall, an amazing series opener. I wish it was longer (seriously, someone start a petition to make doctor who an hour long!) but I can't wait till next week!

9/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment