Sunday 24 April 2011

The Impossible Astronaut - Overnight Ratings (Plus a little rant of my own)


Well, not too good sadly. Doctor Who achieved Overnight ratings of 6.5 million viewers. Despite being majorly disappointing, especially for a series opener, you have to remember some pretty important things that would have altered the amount of views.

1) It was a hot day:
People will want be outside in the warm rather than inside watching TV.

2) Too damn early:
For me, of course, it hardly matters because its doctor who and I'll watch it whatever time it's on. But there will be millions of people who aren't finished at their work by the time it airs, and will therefore have to opt to recording it. I know the reason the BBC are airing it early though, Britains Got Talent. The BBC are obviously scared of a ratings clash and war. And it is obvious who will win. As yet again, The world of trash, reality, brainwashing TV lands upon the UK :(

3) It's Spring/Summer Time
It's no secret that TV Ratings go down in the summer. Big Time. This is why ITV is smart, and airs Britain's Got Talent after it gets dark, so it doesn't matter whether its Autumn or Summer. I know that my sisters family recorded Doctor Who and watched it at 9.00 in the evening. The reason being is that Doctor Who is about 10X less scary when it's light outside. I am telling you I can't wait till after the hiatus when Doctor Who airs when it's dark outside!

4)The World is becoming more Internet based.
More and more people are choosing to watch things on-line. This is a reason why Doctor Who does so well on I Player.(Doctor Who is currently the most popular thing on there, and I expect it to be so for the next day or two) If you don't have access to a TV, just watch it on-line. This isn't just in Doctor Who (again I am looking at Britain's Got 'No' Talent) which got nearly a 1 million drop in viewers with this years opener from last years opener.


So, I conclude, Doctor Who will almost definitely get a huge amount of viewers from Recordings and I Player views. I know I have already watched it a couple of times again via I Player. So, lets hope for good Final Figures (they after all, are what counts) and you can help by re-watching Doctor Who again by I Player!

Sorry if you were bored by my rant!

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment