Saturday 26 June 2010

The Series 5 Finale - My Review


WOW1 WHAT AN AMAZING COUPLE OF EPISODES! The best series finale by a billion miles! A perfect ending to a PERFECT series!

Lets start with ep 12:

I loved the returning characters, a.k.a, Liz Ten and Churchill! And that was before the titles kicked in. The action with River was great (in the prison) and I loved the reference to both star wars and the end of time part 2.

I really felt moffats writing was the best hit's been here, creating suspense easily.
River impersonating Cleopatra was HILARIOUS! And her carving 'Hello Sweetie' in the oldest cliff face in the universe was a paticular highlight. And a very River-y thing to do!
The whole 'stone hendge being built as a marking for the pandorica' was clever! And I also felt The Moff handled the cybermen perfectly. And he made them VERY scary with thier tentacles (a very chilling scene with Amy and the tentacles)

The SFX were STUNNING the spacships in the sky were just... WOW! good enough to be a hollywood movie!
The Aliance was a good idea, and I was worried that moff would not pull it off. But he didn't focus on the various enemues much, which was good.
I don't know who filmed this, but the cinematogropjy needs to be noted. Not only being the best cinematogrophy I've seen in who. But the shots and colour tones really gave this a cinematic feel! FANTASTIC STUFF

And the revelation that the pandorica was built for the doc was a great one! It seems obvious to evreyone now. Yet we never guessed (that is, untill some concept art was released early)

Oh, and RORY RETURNS! YAY! but, he's acctually an auton...

AND THE BEST CLIFFHANGER IN WHO HISTORY! Better than The Stolen Earth cliffhanger. It was a LOOOOOOONNNNG nail biting week!

10/10

Now lets move on to ep 13:
A FANTASTIC conclusion! The cliffhanger resolved nicley, with ALOT of Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey stuff going on.

I LOVEED the fact that the ep started the same way ep 1 started. It feally made you feel emotional, (the same way I felt about the Glee Cast doing a reprise of Dont Stop Believing in thier season finale! - Yes, I ama Glee fan, what are you gonna do?)
But, the cliffhanger-y of the Amy in the pandorica was AWESOME! And the interaction between young Pond and old Pond was great! I loved how the doctor calls Amy 'Pond' It's sooo cool! (in a wierd geeky way!)

Amyway, The lone centurion idea almost made me weep with mixed emotions. It really proves just how much Rory loves Amy. And the Fez, perhaps he could wear that again sometime?
The SFX NEEED to be noted as the best SFX. Not just this series, but all 5 and the specials. Truly, the doctor flying into the explosion looked AMAZING!

I have to say though, my favourite moment in the ep. Or maybe this who series, or maybe who history, was River Song making the dalek beg for mercy. (I think I squealed with excitment at that point!)
And the flesh and stone thing was correct. I'm not gonna lie and say I spotted it, because I didn't:(, but, Conngrats to all those who did! I though Matts acting, paticularly when he talked to Amy before he flew into the 'big bang' (another AMAZING scene) was WAAAAAYYYY better than anyting DT could have done (don't go blabbing on, it's just my opinion)
And the idea that the pandorica would restore the earth was an EPIC-Y sort of idea that you would find in an RTD finale. But good news guys, The Moff didn't overuse it.
After all the excitment, our doc goes to visit young Amy (again, congrats to those who spotted him flash by in ep 1) in a really beautiful scene. With some of the best Eleven-y qoutes of this series! The one about we're all stories gave me a lump in my throat.

Then, It was DAY! the stars were back. And I was thinking that suddenly, the doc would burst through the door, pick Amy up and tell her to remember him. But he didn't

We saw Amy's parents, (Agustus! What sort of a name is Augustus Pond?!) But then the wedding was awesome!
The whole stuff about the new, the old, the borrowed, the blue really sums up Doctor Who for me. It's something old, new, borrowed and well....blue!
The doc in wedding gear was again, Hilarious, and him dancing made my 7 year old roll on the floor laughing!

And the river song thing....confidential said we will find out next series! OOOOH, exciting! But River Song left walking around in the 21st Century. We will see her again soon!

My only critism was that in ep 5, River told us about the pandorica, so she couldn't possibly die, ruined it a little bit, but HEY! They ALWAYS survive in the end!

At Christmas we have Egyptian Queen on the space Orient Express! With Amy, and Rory, and the doc. All in wedding gear (and hopefully, a fez!)

10/10

It's been a GREAT SERIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment